Good news for kids who are learning to read! Super Hammy and his friends are here to make it easy and fun.
The new series is written and illustrated by Oksanna Crawley, a retired Reading Recovery teacher and already the author of well-known storybook, So, You Be Keon and I’ll Be Mahovlich, about a young boy’s dream of playing hockey for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Super Hammy is a mighty hero who fits in the palm of your hand. He can fly! His car can fly! But he is also a normal hamster who washes his clothes and has an accident now and then. The stories are written in short and easy to read sentences – just right for kids who are learning to read as well as ESL students and Reading Recovery students who need a little help and love to laugh.
January 28th-30th we will be introducing Super Hammy to Reading Recovery teachers at the National Reading Recovery & K-6 Literacy Conference in Columbus, Ohio.
We will have the official launch party at the Reading for the Love of It! Annual Language Arts Conference in Toronto, Ontario – February 23rd and 24th. More details to come!
After learning about her teaching career, which was chock-full of story books, I just had to know which were closest to Oksanna’s heart. She gave me the SHORT list, which you can see below.
- Where the Wild Things Are – Maurice Sendak
- Albert the Artist – Dubravka Kolanovic
- Moo Baa Laa Laa Laa – Sandra Boynton
- The Jolly Postman – Janet and Allan Ahlberg
- Red Riding Hood – James Marshall
- The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs – Jon Scieszka
- Leo the Late Bloomer – Robert Kraus
- Olivia– Ian Falconer
- Big Pumpkin – Erica Silverman
- Love You Forever – Robert Munsch